Friday, May 25, 2012

It scares me when I'm right!

 I love seeing Albert Pujols hitting.  He's always been a quality player, so I never doubted that he was going to improve.  In fact, I like to think that maybe this whole idea of a "slump" was just a conspired joke.  A way to get American League pitchers to start pitching to Albert instead of avoiding him.  Whatever is happening... I'm glad the Angels are improving.  And being the superstitious person that I am... I'm knocking on wood as I type.

This weekend, our Travel Ball team, the Tustin Rampage, will be playing in a Memorial Day tournament for USSSA in West Covina.  At the end of our winter season in January, the Rampage was ranked #1 in the nation for Travel Ball teams 11U AAA.  We fell in rankings because we stopped playing, so we're anxious to get more points. 

While we relax this weekend, and enjoy our kids playing baseball while keeping an eye on the Angels, don't forget the reason we Monday off.  Remember all of the young men and women who have paid the ultimate sacrifice for our country in times of war.  This quote from Ronald Reagan sums up my feelings on Memorial Day the best:

"It is, in a way, an odd thing to honor those who died in defense of our country, in defense of us, in wars afar away. The imagination plays a trick. We see these soldiers in our mind as old and wise. We see them as something like the Founding Fathers, grave and gray-haired. But most of them were boys when they died, and they gave up two lives, the one they were living and the one they would have lived. When they died, they gave up their chance to be husbands and fathers and grandfathers. They gave up their chance to be revered old men. They gave up everything for our country, for us. And all we can do is remember " -Ronald Reagan
Be safe this weekend, and have fun.  Most of all, think about why it is we celebrate Memorial Day.  Go Angels!

No comments: